These are hands down my husband’s absolute favorite cookies. I make them every year as soon as it starts getting cold all the way through New Years!
Similar to a ginger snap, these homemade cookies are spicy, chewy, and amazing in every way. Best way to eat them is right out of the oven when they are still warm and gooey!
Let’s get baking!
Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 Tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 2 1/2 Tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tsp ground cloves
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Cups unsalted butter – room temperature (softened not melted)
- 1 cup granulated (white) sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mix, cream together the room temperature butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy (2-3 minutes on medium-high speed).
- Add eggs (one at a time) into the butter and sugar mixture followed by the molasses combining until well mixed on medium low speed.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients mixture in and beat until fully combined.
- Chill the dough in an airtight container in the refrigerator for roughly 2 hours or until completely chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pull the dough from the fridge and begin rolling the dough into 1-inch balls and place on parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies for about 8-10 minutes, just until the cookies begin to slightly crack on top. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Best served warm with milk!
*One tip to making these perfect is to start with room temperature butter!
*Store in an airtight container for a few days.